I don’t claim to be an expert by any means! But I have been doing this very seriously since last Summer and in the beginning posts like these are what got me through! If it wasn’t for The Story Siren’s tips and Presenting Lenore’s very informative posts I would have been completely lost. I have been getting a few questions lately and some bloggers asking if I had any tips, so I thought I would do a series of posts! I want to talk about some of the things that have worked for me and some of the things that haven’t. Let’s start at the beginning.
In my opinion the core of your blog is your design. People see your header before they ever read your posts and as much as we all hate to admit it we judge things by their looks. So I think it’s important to have a unique design. Something people will remember. There are lots of ways to go about this. You can get free backgrounds or freebie templates from tons of different sites and they are easy to install. Or you can get a custom made design from a number of sites but these aren’t free 🙂 Or you can make your own but this requires a little html knowledge(but not much)and a lot of patience. Whatever you decide make sure it reflects you and your blog.
Also try to avoid templates that are hard to read. Such as a bright background and a light font color. Anything that is hard on the eyes. This may just be a pet peeve of mine but I love a organized and clutter free blog! But I’m a little anal lol.
Here are some sites that will help you out with your design needs:
Here are some quick tips to improve the look of your blog and it’s accessibility:
- Keep your Followers widget close to the top. That way it’s easy for people to find and follow!
- De clutter your sidebars! If you don’t need it get rid of it! It makes your page load faster and it means less distraction from your posts!
- If you want to give your blog a new look fast edit your colors! You can change the whole look of you blog just by going to Layout and Fonts and Colors
- Add a search bar! There have been many times I have wanted to link to a bloggers review but I couldn’t find it because there wasn’t a search bar!
- Word verification? To have or not to have? I didn’t have it for a long time but then I started getting 5-10 spam comments a day. I added it but now I have noticed that my comment numbers have dropped. Where I used to get 20+ now I only get 10. So I took it back off and I already got a spam comment. Oh well! It’s up to you! Readers and commenters don’t like it though.
That’s it for this post! I hope it helped someone out there out! The next time around we will be talking about getting followers!! So stay tuned for that!