NAME: Libba Bray, a.k.a. “LL Cool Bray”
AGE: 47 on the outside; about 10 on the inside.
WEIGHT: Of an unladen swallow? Which one, African or European?
EYES: Right one, nearsighted; left one, plastic. And of course, there’s the laser eye. But I don’t have clearance to talk about that.
BEST FEATURE: My inability to identify my best featureFUN FACTS ABOUT ME:
- I am ¼ of the all-YA author rock band, Tiger Beat, with Daniel Ehrenhaft, Natalie Standiford, and Barnabas Miller. I sing, play middling keys, and, when pressed, terrible drums.
- My favorite movie is “Blade Runner.” The Roy Batty death scene gets me every time.
- I once had dreams of becoming an Olympic figure skater. Turns out that in order to become an Olympic figure skater, you actually have to know how to skate. The Dorothy Hamill haircut alone won’t do it.
- If you say my name backward it’s Abbil Yarb. Oh wait, that’s “Lame Facts About Me.” Wrong folder. My bad.
- The first story I ever wrote was a 5th grade Halloween horror story featuring illustrations of buxom Goth women being ravaged by vampires (very “Dark Shadows”) and some heads on pikes. This is the sort of story that would merit a visit from Child Protective Services today. Back then, I got a check-plus (A+).
- My first book tour, for A Great and Terrible Beauty, was sponsored by Midol. Apparently, my books pair well with PMS. You’re welcome.
- I once dove into the Holiday Inn pool, swam to the side and popped up out of the water all sexy-styles like a tanning lotion ad I’d seen on TV just to impress a cute boy sitting nearby with his friends. Unfortunately, I neglected to note the lead pipe sticking out of the side of the pool (Did I mention the nearsightedness?) and whacked my head on it (Pretty sure the thwack sound is still ringing over North Texas), fell back into the pool, swallowed half of it, and had to dog paddle over to the side, coughing and vomiting up water the whole time while my best friend lay on a lounger laughing her butt off. So strange that that cute boy never asked for my number…
- I hate doughnuts. Strange but true.
Interesting, very, very interesting. How can anyone NOT like doughnuts?! 😉 Anyway, be sure to check out Libba’s new book, Beauty Queens asap! Here’s a little more about the book:
The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream Pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and complete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eye liner.What’s a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program – or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan – or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Your tour guide? None other than Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.
Sounds awesome, right? Well your also in luck because This Is Teen is having a really awesome contest for Beauty Queens and lots of other goodies:
Ladies and gentlemen, we want to know WHAT MAKES YOU A BEAUTY QUEEN? Being
a Beauty Queen like the ones in Libba Bray’s new novel means being true to
yourself and who you want to be. Tell us in 500 words or less what makes
you a Beauty Queen, and you could win a $250 Amex Gift Card to use toward
whatever makes you feel most awesome. Or you could opt for a $250 gift card
to Sephora. Whatever you choose, we will also send you a signed copy of the
book and your very own tiara!To enter go to http://www.thisisteen.com/
Contest.htmNO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal US residents ages 13 to 18. Deadline to enter 5pm EST on July 1, 2011. Void where prohibited. For complete details and official rules go to www.ThisIsTeen.com