When I was first presented with the idea of this post I though Oh No! I read the book months ago! I was afraid that I had forgotten some of those little details that made me fall head over heels for it. I shouldn’t have worried. As soon as I put my mind to it I came up with approximately 152 reasons why I love The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Then my only problem was narrowing it down to 10. I also struggled with not having my list look like this:
I’m going to try to be a little more articulate than that. So here are my top 10 reasons for loving The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer:
- It’s eerie, dark and creepy without being cheesy or overdone.
- There is nothing, nothing out there like it. Especially in YA.
- It’s a book for readers. (you’re thinking duh, right?) What I mean is there’s all the witty jokes and things about Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings etc. So that made it appealing on a completely different level. Michelle gets her readers.
- Mara is completely believable even though she is in this…unfathomable situation.
- Michelle holds nothing back. People get what they deserve in it.
- It’s funny! There’s lots of wit and banter to break up the creepiness.
- While reading you will suddenly realize you have this goofy, swoony grin on your face. You won’t be able to get rid of it as long as a certain rumpled British boy is in the scene. It will soon be replaced by goosebumps when something awesomely creepy happens again.
- Mara has a very present and involved family! Thank goodness!
- It’s sexy.
- NOAH SHAW! (my new favorite YA boy….sigh…)
I have one more…I couldn’t help myself:
11. It has everything, everything I love in a book. Even if I didn’t realize these are the things I need. Spooky, dark, mysterious, British bad boys. It’s intelligent and emotional….really for me..it was flawless.
I’m am so, so excited to be kicking off the Mara Madness Blog Tour. Cindy from Books Complete Me and Michelle have some awesome things planned. The first being a really cool scavenger hunt! Here’s how that works:
Each blog on the tour (21 stops) will have a clue. The clues will be letters that spell out an important line from the book. Even if you haven’t read the book you should be able to piece it together! The last day to solve the clue and enter for cool prizes is the 30th.
What are these cool prizes you may ask? Two people will win a signed, finished copy of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer!!